Braden A.'s Reviews > The Crying of Lot 49

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon

May 20, 2008

Read in May, 2008

It took me three reads through this short (150 pages) yet dense work.

But it's one of the most rewarding reading experiences I have ever had.

It has actually changed the way I read, and the way I process and interpret writing.

It was incredible, and to anyone up to the task, I recommend it heartily.

The process I used was this:

-Read it the first time from cover to cover, just taking it all in without stopping to analyze

-Second time, I read along with the guides found on pynchonwiki.com

-Third time I read it from cover to cover, with all the information from PynchonWiki in mind as I read

It was a great experience, and I look forward to reading further into his library of works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crying of Lot 49.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I wish I liked Pynchon, but I often feel like he is more concerned with impressing me than telling a good story.

Braden A. I know what you mean, D, but I don't think his work is self-consciously dense.

I was very uptight about starting with his work. I had some prejudices towards him, thinking it was very haughty work that only appealed to literary elitists.

But no, he has an incredible knowledge of pop-culture trivia. Being a self-confessed comic book geek, it was great to "get" all of his little in-jokes about The Shadow.

However, like I said, I don't think this is intentional. He's a very strange man.

He's not trying to impress anyone, as much as he expects people to be as encyclopedic as he is.