Ana's Reviews > Whirl

Whirl by Emma Raveling

Dec 09, 11

Read from November 12 to December 07, 2011

First…a PSA for all readers! This book has lots of terminology that’s all its own which may be daunting for some. Luckily, there’s a glossary…but, unfortunately, at the end of the book. So, if you’re reading it on a Kindle like I did, go to the end first and bookmark it! I’m serious…do it before you begin (I didn’t and it made for a confusing first few chapters)!

Now let’s talk about the book. This is the first book I’ve read about the Elemental world and I was drawn in by it. The abilities and virtues of the Odine and the soullessness of the Aquidae are quite fascinating. This is one of those books that has lots of characters, each with a unique personality and each with a role to play. The author balances those characters well and does not, as so often happens, drop characters along the way.

Kendra, our hero, is a water elemental who has lived her whole life “rogue”…on the run and far away from the community of Elementals. Living with her mother, she’s developed a tough independent streak. I liked Kendra…for the most part. She is not afraid to face her foes and even relishes the idea of coming up against the enemy. She’s witty and clever. She’s tough and determined. But, all her independence makes her a bit arrogant and angry which frustrated me at times. She does not trust easily and it takes her a very long time to come to terms with who she is and what’s expected of her.

Now I know you’ve heard of love triangles….this story has a love square. Tristan, her protector, is older and seemingly untouchable. Julian, her trainer, is mysterious and smooth. Ryder, her friend, is charming and boyish. And each one of them wants her in his own way. You’d think that with all this romantic tension, the story would get lost, but it definitely doesn’t. The author does a very good job at weaving these characters in, making the situations dramatic, witty and sad, and all the while managing somehow to keep them tucked safely behind the main storyline. When I found myself wanting to know more about Tristan or wishing I could have just a few more pages with Julian I realized that this story had been very well crafted to build vivid characters but also to stay true to its purpose…Kendra’s journey to deal with the Aquidae and protect her people.

This book was fast-paced and imaginative. The dialogue was well written and, in many cases, witty. The interactions between the characters was genuine and believable…it never felt forced or inappropriately placed. There were situations that I could see coming and those that took me by surprise as well. This is a really good foundation for what I anticipate will be a very good series. The author is currently working on the second book and I look forward to reading it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whirl.

11/12/2011 page 45