Jim's Reviews > The Mystery of Edwin Drood

The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens

Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: from-the-library, mystery, literature, crime
Read from October 23 to 29, 2011

Dickens is at the height of his power here. Almost every paragraph is exceptional. It amazes me how he can vocalize each character in their own peculiar ways. You always know who is speaking or thinking. Unfortunately, the book is unfinished, Dickens died at about the halfway point in the story.

Some people do not approve of his characters, especially the young women, who are often portrayed as very beautiful, delicate and unable to care for themselves. The heroes are strong and handsome and of strong character, his villains are villainous. While there may be too many orphans in his book, he was a product of his time and nobody knew better than he what people wanted to read.

In all the books of his I have read, each individual is really one personality trait personified. Through it, he exposes our own character flaws as we sympathize with their thoughts and actions. His turns of phrase are especially enjoyable. I could post some examples, but instead encourage you to read, or re-read Dickens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cecily (new)

Cecily Reading "each individual is really one personality trait personified", it seemed so obvious, but it hadn't occurred to me before. Great insight. Thanks.