Rhi's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Oct 25, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, 2011, ya-you-have-my-heart, 2-stars
Read from October 23 to 25, 2011

Um, ah... what... okay, so um ah, well. Um.
What the eff just happened???

I can't, in all conscience, give this book 1 star. I read it and read it and read it until it was all done. That, in my mind, deserves at least a two.
In general I didn't mind the characters either. In fact, I might actually have loved some of them. I have no problem with Clare portraying Clary's independence through her not accepting hands/help/and slapping copious people. Whatever dude, if that is what a modern self sufficient young female is made of... okay.
I really rather enjoyed Jace's cynicism and detachment. Simon was necessary and for the most part I was hoping he would have a bigger role in the next novels.
Luke was lovely.
The twins were bearable.
Hodge was predictable.

It was all fine. Sure I felt a bit sick with all the chopping and changing of narrative viewpoints. And so what if some people read this as an amalgamation of different books/programmes/films? I have no time for that argument. Hello, Harry Potter is not the original, never read Lord of the Rings?(This is a rant for another day.)

*Spo-Spo-Spo-Spoooooilers*

This book loses all credibility for me when you have two young adults, 15/16 years of age, begin to engage in a romantic relationship, going so far as to snog their faces off, only to "reveal" at the end they are brother and sister.
In what world (that is not Star Wars) does this make for good reading? It doesn't!
It's creepy and uncomfortable and those kids would need a lot of therapy dealing with the romantic feelings they now have to attempt to ignore.
Ms Clare, I care not that this is all most likely leading up to a grand finale of some Really Important Point, wherein these children probably find out they aren't related at all and are free to explore their growing sexual attraction to one another.
But, MAN. NO.
I prefer my YA novels to have a little more swoon and a lot less incest. Is this a fantasy novel? Or is it an exploration into the effects of incestuous feelings? I'm not really sure such a heavy and confusing subject belongs in a world where cats can communicate and fairies play in the hedgerows.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

10/24/2011 page 320

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Milo Herring I had the best laugh of my life since you guessed it- Clary and Jace are not related.

message 2: by Rhi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rhi Ian wrote: "I had the best laugh of my life since you guessed it- Clary and Jace are not related."

Thank goodness for that, Ian!