Christine Boyer's Reviews > Terms of Endearment

Oct 23, 11

Recommended to Christine by: Julie Grippo
Recommended for: Maybe women 40+
Read from September 03 to October 23, 2011, read count: 1

This is the first novel where I'm having some trouble deciding whether I liked it or not. Like practically everyone else, I loved McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove". So I assumed this would be great as well. And there were aspects of greatness. I love lots of dialogue and this story had it! Also, all the characters were very real and well-developed. But it just didn't grab me as I thought it would. For a fairly short book, it took me forever to read - and that says something, too. I had never seen the movie (still haven't), but I knew the actors who played the parts, so maybe that was a problem? I thought the set up was odd - with so much being about Aurora, and then in the very end it's about the daughter. I kept wanting to know more about Aurora's life. I felt detached from the sad scene at the end. I think I wanted a deeper plot - more than just a "day in the life" type story. Either way, I'm glad I read it, and I want to see the movie now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Terms of Endearment.