Saphirablue's Reviews > Burndive

Burndive by Karin Lowachee

6752061
Oct 23, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, hurt-comfort, in-english, series-to-continue, read-in-2011
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ This book is as awesome as the first one in this 'verse. It took me a while to find my way into this book because it references to events from "Warchild" in the beginning and my brain always jumped back to "Warchild" and insisted that I read these parts again. *sighs* But when I found my way in? Such an amazing book! I love how it deals with PTSD in children/young adults. Ryan had to witness something traumatic and the way he (not) deals with it - drugs, pushing his family away, being self-destructive - is written very good and very believable. The book also draws so many parallels to our here and now - amazing!

This book has once again such amazing characters: Ryan, Sid, Mom Lau, Admiral Grandpa and all the characters from "Warchild" (Jos, Captain Azarcon, Dorr, Evan and so on). I love every single one!

Even though this book deals with heavy stuff (PTSD, war, pirates, mentions of child abuse that happened in the past), there are some things that still make you laugh (Dorr calling Ryan "Baby Az"? Cracks me up even now).

We get an Outsider POV of Jos! \o/ Also, Captain Azarcon trusting Jos to keep his son alive on board the "Macedon" and them slowly, oh so slowly, becoming something like friends? ♥

In short: I love this book as much as "Warchild"!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burndive.