Libby's Reviews > That Old Ace In The Hole

1820314
Oct 23, 11

bookshelves: middling
Read in January, 2007

I nearly didn't finish this book. After two chapters I was going to stop reading but curiosity got the better of me...and I'm glad it did. Annie Proulx's The Shipping News is one of my all time favourite books so I thought I would give this one a go. The inside cover blurb's describe the book as having humour and being funny - I didn't think it was funny at all. I also did not like any of the characters very much. Bob Dollar frustrated me because of his inability to fully grasp and embrace the beauty of the land (despite seemingly appreciating it at times) and his stubborn refusal to let go of a bad thing and believe that a few people could make a big difference. So despite not liking the small minded people or understanding the humour I adored Proulx's writing. I love the magic of her prose and the way she manages to make even the most mundane of things (think barbed wire and windmills) somehow interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Old Ace In The Hole.