Micki 's Reviews > Everything I Know About Love I Learned from Romance Novels

Everything I Know About Love I Learned from Romance Novels by Sarah Wendell

Oct 24, 11

Read in October, 2011

Hmmm. Some major problems with this book. First, it seems to be an extended defense of why it's OK to read romance novels, and that defense is not really well supported by actual numbers (Harlequin research is cited, IIRC, but not that many real numbers), nor by the excerpts. It's kind of preaching to the choir, so if you like that sort of thing, you may want to pick up the book.

Second, I expected it to give specific problems (which it did) and show by specific romance examples how those problems were solved (which it really didn't).

However, Smart Bitch Sarah has a gift for picking quotes, and some of the testimonials were quite moving.

The section on Miles Vorkosigan (even though he's not *really* a romance hero) gets one whole star all to itself. And it was fun to see so many user names from the Jenny Crusie website (and Jenny gets a nice nod!).

I found maybe one new author I want to try from the book. But in general, I think I'll stick to the Smart Bitches website when I need a boost of confidence about my blooming romance habit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Know About Love I Learned from Romance Novels.