Shante's Reviews > Dead Beautiful

Dead Beautiful by Yvonne Woon

Oct 23, 11

bookshelves: zombies, young-adult, what-mystery, paranormal, dissapointing
Read from October 22 to 23, 2011

2.75/5 stars: Lost lots of points due to repetition and dragging pace

This book started off well enough. Yeah, it's a bit cliche. Something happens to girl, she has no parents, goes to fancy and mysterious boarding school, attracts attention of hot bad boy, has some secret ability. But I thought these elements were handled differently enough for me to continue reading this book. For example, no love triangle. The boarding school's curriculum is fascinating, if a bit like Harry Potter.

So for the first 1/3 of the book, I was hooked.

Except the pacing started to drag, and the mystery elements weren't always handled as slyly as they should have been. The main character turned out to be oblivious or dumb or something and never figured out anything on her own.

Now, I'm going to be purposefully vague so as not to spoil anything. She has this ability, but doesn't know it. However, the reader will probably figure out what this ability is once the MC "finds" something for the second or third time. Except the MC never catches on with the reader, despite it being so painfully obvious.

Secondly, I can't tell you how many scenes there are that seemed to serve no point other than to have the MC beg to be kissed by the hot boy, only for the hot boy to say he can't because he's scare, and then the bad boy tries to confess something to her only to be interrupted. Once is enough. Maybe twice. But three or four times? We get the point! It's nothing but filler, but I don't know why since this book is 480 pages. These scenes could have and should have been cut.

Then someone goes missing, except it should be obvious to a careful reader where the person is. Yet the MC never thinks of it.

The bad boy's secret is also extremely obvious. But how convenient is it that the MC randomly stumbles upon a book that clearly explains every little thing so she doesn't have to figure it out herself?

Also, the ending just sucks balls.

So at some point, I started skimming because the plot inched along at a snail's pace. With some tightening, this could've been a much better book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Beautiful.

10/23/2011 page 200
42.0% "this book is too long. i already figured some stuff out, but the main character is still clueless!"
10/23/2011 page 210
44.0% "Do we really need to see another "i can't kiss you" "i need to tell u something" only to be interrupted scene? that's happened probably 6 times by now"