A's Reviews > I Was Told There'd Be Cake

May 22, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: read-2008
Read in May, 2008

Sloane Crosley is similar to me and my friends in education, background, life experience, career trajectory, and the like. The big difference is she has a book deal, and we do not. As such, I tried to read this with an open mind and not hate her off the bat.

Turned out that was all an unnecessary gesture on my part, as even someone completely remote from her experience would realize she is one of the most talentless hacks to come along in ages. This book was unbearable! These "essays" (more accurate definition: 8th-grade reading level diary entries) were not interesting, not insightful, and almost unbearably badly written. Every minute I wasted reading them (read: skimming page after page hoping for some word that was worth stopping on) made me want to throw up. Truly one of the worst debuts of the year--which is saying a lot considering this is the same year that has already seen the premiere of Keith Gessen's execrable first novel.
20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was Told There'd Be Cake.

04/28 marked as: read