Cathy 's Reviews > Darkness Unbound

Darkness Unbound by Keri Arthur

Sep 09, 12

bookshelves: elves-fae, magic-users, fantasy, read-in-2011, paranormal, shifter-not-wolf, vampire, series-reminder, romance, urban, werewolf
Read from October 22 to 23, 2011

If you're a fan of Arthur's Riley Jensen series, rest assured, this is a worthy successor. It isn't a clone, Risa is her own woman and the story has its own twists. Riley, Roane, Liander and Quinn appear in small but appropriate doses as supporting characters only. The book will easily stand alone for new readers, they may well be curious to check out more about those people, but it was appropriately written so that it was a nice fondly reminiscing about escapades in their pasts, not an author trying to sell books; it didn't feel like trying to back-sell the other series, but just to establish the family fans would want to see in this one. Long story short, the generation gap was handled well.

The actual story was what feels like typical Arthur to me, lots of excitement, loyalty to friends who just happen to have the skills you need (bit too convenient sometimes but there's the book) a few hot sexual interludes that make sense within the culture that's been established, but people who fine open sexual relations to be troubling will never be fans of the werewolf culture as established in these books or the open sexuality that seems more the norm in their city.

My only big quibble is that Risa is too good too fast. Sure, Riley and Rhone insisted that she train and learn as much as possible, but that isn't the same as real life fight situations, yet she makes no mistakes, she's a pro from minute one. She gets shaken up after but makes no mistakes during. It stretched my credibility a bit. But I liked that more than laying around helpless. And it is an action series after all. I'd just have liked seeing more of a learning curve, it would make her a bit more relatable. She did get weak and shaky from using her magical powers so much when she doesn't usually, but she didn't have any trouble doing anything. Everything, from finding the right friends to help her to always knowing what to do next, was all a bit too easy.

Nevertheless I really enjoyed the book, and I'm sure I would have even if I wasn't already a big Keri Arthur fan. If you like action-packed UF with a sexy edge than this would be a good series for you to try.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Unbound.

10/22/2011 page 66
18.0% "Riley designs shoes now! Bet they all have super sharp heels."