Sarahfina's Reviews > The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

Aug 25, 08

Aaron and I are starting a club for people who hated this boring, boring book. Anyone want to join?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aaron We should start a special secret club for people who realize this book isn't very good.

Sarahfina Totally! I thought I was the only one.

message 3: by Barrett (new) - added it

Barrett Why do you two dislike this book so much? I haven't read it, but kind of thought I would give it a chance.

Aaron There's a review with something like 37 comments on this book - should be right up top when you go to the review section. It's hyperbolic, but it nails the essential idea.

Part of it is backlash. Everyone seems to love this book - I might be doing to this book what I wished I could do to Interpol.

Stanster Can I join? I loved Mysteries of Pittsburg and Wonder Boys. I tried to read this drivel for 5 chapters and quit. Please poke my eye with a needle next time.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan I thought the prose was good, but man I was not prepared for the homosexuality! I will try the yiddish police union though. That looks interseting.

Jenny I'd be interested in joining.

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 1 star

Kim Such a boring book. I enjoyed Wonder Boys and The Final Solution. But this one left me cold. Listened to the audiobook, and it actually made my commute seem longer.

Michael This book was too boring to hate, or to generate any real feelings about, other than maybe mild disappointment over time wasted reading 200 boring pages that I could have spent reading something else.

Michael I have to agree with the last comment; I found this story simply underwhelming and boring. It never created enough emotion in me to want to hate it; in fact, i often forget i have it, and almost forget Ive read it. And, I was really wanting to like this book, based on other books and the premise.

Chris Gager maybe, i'm just getting started and am "concerned" about what I've read so far

Chris Gager now done. Yup, kinda boring and loooonnnggg.

message 13: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim I absolutely loved this book when I read it 4 years back. Got completely lost in it. But almost everything I read is non-fiction, a lot of it to do with the horror of the mess that most of Africa is in, so I guess I just needed something escapist. Also at the time I was covering stories every week for a newspaper. On really horrific stuff that happens here in South Africa on a daily basis. It worked for me.

Royden Irvine 'what's observed depends on the position of the observer'

Cassie Sign me up!

Raphael Laude Of course you are all entitled to your opinions, but I simply cannot comprehend the lack of an emotional response! I was very moved by this novel.

Melani Boring, exhibitionistic descriptions that describeNOT and how in the hell could think this was well written?

message 18: by Curt (new) - rated it 1 star

Curt Blair Sign me up. Haven't finished yet but I am sure I will join you.

Aaron I still hate this book.

Chris Gager do you mean naught?

Felipe Heh, I'd like to sign up too. The book is too boring to work as 'entertaining' literature, too superficial to work as historical, and too shallow to work as a novel of ideas. I love dense books because they are usually transgressive, but this one is just a cliche on top of another cliche.
Why do people like this book so much? Maybe it's because it marries the current rise of comics to popular culture, with the US obsession with anything Jewish/WWII/NYC related. Had this book come out 20 years ago, it would have never had the reception it's had today.

Miranda3 I'm signing up. The only 'good' part about reading this book is my sense of accomplishment in actually finishing something I was ready to put down for good 100 times.

message 23: by Marc (new)

Marc Clapp I kind of agree. I love comic books and I am in love with the time period but I felt it just took to long to make its point. It needed to be about half as long. Nowhere near the novel "Wonder Boys" is

message 24: by Leo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leo Count me in!

message 25: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne I actively sought out this review. I just finished this book and loved it, but wondered if there were others that hated it. My rationale is because the book I attempted to read before this was the Goldfinch. Goldfinch won a Pulitzer and had absolute rave reviews. I hated it and couldn't get beyond the first 100 pages. It turns out I wasn't alone, but it made me think that Kavalier and Clay could illicit the same kinds of feelings. At times I felt like I was slogging through it, but there was something about the characters that made me want to know how their lives turned out. Ultimately, I am very glad I did.

message 26: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Hartman I actually like what I'm reading so far. The origin story of the Escapist is set up in an amazing chapter and only halfway through do you realize they've developed this characters story over the course of a walk and a pack of cigs

Larissa Merriman I want to join! This book was so dull, I had to struggle to finish it.

Samuel Garrido Indeed I read 1/3 of it and is disapointing. Not really understand why so many love this one.

message 29: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle Herberger-sullivan I have yet to read the book but I'm alack to find that you don't have an original voice of criticism to the book other than "I Don't like it" and "anyone else?" Without explanation seems a bit shallow. I'm certain that there were reasons that you didn't like it, so it seems like a weak argument to not make one at all.

Joshua A Zink When books like this win the Pulitzer, I start to wonder if I just don't understand great literature. Nevertheless, I was also bored to tears by this book. I found the characters to be bland and non-descript. The characters weren't given a chance to act out their personalities for any real length of time. By which I mean I wasn't able to relate to the characters by their own actions but was instead told how to feel by Chambon. Even that wouldn't have been so bad had I found the characters to be unique or exciting in any way. I suppose an argument could be made that that's what the comics and magic is for but it just felt too contrived and inauthentic.

message 31: by April (new) - rated it 1 star

April I only got to page 100 and wanted to puke. I couldn't go any further.

message 32: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle Herberger-sullivan You know, Zink at least makes a good argument against the book but even forming a "club" on people who hate this book, wouldn't you be looking for more deep introspective reasoning to dislike it other than just self-gratification and confirmation biases from other people? I mean, a club is more than just people nodding and agreeing...