Nile Princess's Reviews > Zero at the Bone

Zero at the Bone by Jane Seville

6203427
Oct 22, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: assassins, couldn-t-finish, m-m-romance, special-ops-military, reviewed, it-must-be-me
Read from October 22 to 23, 2011

Maybe it's that I'm getting more demanding or impatient, or no longer feel the need to suffer through books that aren't holding my interest, but at 35% I just gave up. I had high hopes for this one. There were lots of great reviews and I really liked the premise, but the actual delivery fell short.

Jack, a surgeon, witnesses a murder and agrees to testify. He's taken into protective custody. D, an assassin, takes the job to take him out. Everything was going well, right up until the moment these two actually meet. I like the author's writing style; she actually made me laugh out loud a few times but the pacing on this just didn't work for me. D is a hardened shell of a man who only lives to kill, so to have him go from that to a guy talking about feelings and wanting to give up his life for Jack needed a slow, firm hand guided by nuance and subtlety. What we got was hokey sappiness. D's journey was not given its due. The dialogue was groan worthy. Don't have D tell us, about a third of the way in, that he feels like he's been dead inside and now he feels alive (rolls eyes), show us!! I couldn't even see a hardened assassin saying some of the stuff that came out of his mouth. I did enjoy Jack taking care of him while he was hurt, but that brings us to the other problem.

Why was D so inept?? If he's supposed to be one of the best out there, then the mercenary world is truly in shambles. (view spoiler)

Jack was, by turns, sassily cute and naive and annoying. You don't have someone shake a lifetime of mistrust in days by asking them a million questions and forcing them to talk to you. And what was up with his self-lubricating orifice? First time sex with no lube whatsoever and no difficulty being penetrated AND he was able to come seconds later without D touching his penis at all. Gay men everywhere should be so lucky.

I realize that there are lots of people who liked this book, but I can't recommend it with any seriousness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero at the Bone.

09/03/2012
0.0% "I'm going (back) in!" 5 comments
12/21/2016 marked as: read

Fiona Goodman I actually don't think I gave you this rec. I looked it up after you sent your pm and I had only rated it 3 stars. For me that is just so-so, which meant I thought it was okay. I only usually rec. books I really love. Even if the other person hates it.

message 2: by Nile Princess (last edited Oct 23, 2011 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nile Princess Ok luv. Off to find something else. I'm in the mood for a Special Ops/mercenary thing..not something as dark as Special Forces, but not a murder mystery either. I'm so picky lol

Fiona Goodman Did you look up my rec for 'Finding Eden' or Beyond Eden?

Not at all what you're looking for now, but I do really suggest these. If you just want m/m read FE it is good by itself.

Nile Princess I think I added them to my shelf. Let me go see.

message 5: by L-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

L-D This is one of my favorite M/M books! Too bad you didn't like it.

Nile Princess Lan-Dinh, I know I'm in the minority on this one. LOTS of people love it, but I couldn't even make it halfway.

message 7: by L-D (new) - rated it 5 stars

L-D That's the beauty of books - so many different interpretations and opinions.

Nile Princess Yep, exactly. :)

Razzbate omg cant believe u did not like it.

Nile Princess I can't believe you did!! Lol. It's ok. You're still my girl. :-)

Razzbate Lol

The UHQ Nasanta OMG, I can't believe you didn't like it.

What am I talking about? I haven't even finished it. It's still on my Currently Reading pile. lol. XD

What we got was hokey sappiness. This I dread. D had just started to recover from his wound/infection where I left off.

You might want to spoiler tag the paragraph that starts with "Why was D so inept??" I have not yet gotten to the part where Jack has been kidnapped...

Nile Princess LOL @ "What am I talking about? I haven't even finished it." Ok, will do on the spoiler tags.

message 14: by Nile Princess (last edited Sep 04, 2012 06:18AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nile Princess Woohoo, my first spoiler tag (Thanks PG!) I feel like strutting around singing, "I'm a big kid now"...you know...without the pullups. Whatever. Don't judge me. :-)

Razzbate Lol

Elizabetta I'm at 49% after 3 days of reading. I'm gonna finish this if it kills me.

Nile Princess @ Elizabetta - It just might! LOL.

@ Isaac - Agreed! Totally ridiculous.

Elizabetta at 70% and skimming. dang.

Nile Princess You made it to 70%?? You're a star!

Elizabetta I'm reading it for a challenge so I have to finish it.

Nile Princess My sympathies.

Elizabetta I gotta finish it tonight. no more procrastination... lol. It's not really that bad, just kinda meh. But golly so many people love it! There may be stoning when I post my review o_O

Adjoaq Q I really wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Didn't work for me. First show of intimacy was in CHAPTER 11!!! And even that, there was sex without lube and no kissing! Come on! Couldn't finish reading this. Got to chapter 18. I don't think i'm going back to it. whew!

Elizabetta Welcome to the club Adjoa, lol :)

Nile Princess Yes, pull up a chair lol. :)

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ I'm going in - I needed a Z and I already owned it. We'll see how I do.

Adjoaq Q Have a blast Lei.

Elizabetta Let us know what you thing Lei :)

Nile Princess I wait with baited breath. :)

message 31: by Paul (new) - rated it 1 star

Paul I love this review for the comment "And what was up with his self-lubricating orifice?" there should always be lube involved... always... lots of it!

message 32: by Nile Princess (last edited Dec 02, 2014 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Nile Princess LOL Paul! Word! :)