Rachel's Reviews > The Secret in Their Eyes

The Secret in Their Eyes by Eduardo Sacheri

Nov 06, 11

Read from October 22 to November 06, 2011

Benjamín Chaparro is a retired detective who is writing a book about a murder case he worked on years ago, and as he revisits the details of the investigation he also recalls the beginning of his long, unrequited love for Irene Hornos, then just an intern, now a respected judge. Set in the Buenos Aires of the late 1960s, Sacheri’s tale reveals the underpinnings of Argentina’s Dirty War and takes on the question of justice — what it really means and in whose hands it belongs.

Reading The Secrets In Their Eyes made me think about justice. There are so many crime TV shows these days and at the end of almost every episode the guilty get what they deserve but here things aren't so simple and I keep thinking about how more often than not the criminals of the earth keep going, adding one wrongdoing after another to the scorecard they feel no remorse about while the honest and the righteous suffer at their hands, make sacrifices to ensure that the guilty get punished and even then there are no guarantees that it'll actually happen. We want justice to prevail and for the good guys to come out on top. And here they do. Eventually.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret in Their Eyes.

11/01/2011 page 199
62.0% "This book keeps your attention and brings you on an adventure of mystery."
show 1 hidden update…