Leah's Reviews > Icefall

Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby

Oct 24, 11

bookshelves: audio, fiction, library-book, ya
Read from October 22 to 23, 2011, read count: 1

I got this from browsing my library's audiobooks (yes, my library has audiobooks I can download from home and listen to on my iPod!), and I'm glad I stumbled across it.
The setting put me slightly in mind of Ronia, the Robber's Daughter, but grew into a tale more subtle and advanced (not to say that I don't love Ronia!). The characters were engaging, and the plot twisted nicely (even though I did figure out some parts of the mystery before they were revealed, the foreshadowing was not heavy-handed, I think I'm probably just a little older than the target audience).
I am pleased that the interview with the author at the end of the audiobook hinted at more to come with these characters; the world was beautiful and I would like to go back there. I look forward to more from him, not the least because he wrote a young girl very convincingly with a refreshing lack of unnecessary gender issues (of course there the necessary gender issues to deal with, but Kirby dealt with them as part of Solveig's whole and they felt genuine and not tacked-on).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Icefall.