Laura's Reviews > A Crooked Kind of Perfect

1351942
Oct 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audiobook, children-s, middle-grade
Read from October 22 to 26, 2011

What a great book for readers in grades 4 - 6! I put off reading this title because I had some idea that it was a mediocre read. And I was totally, thankfully wrong! Linda Urban writes with an authentic, snappy style that is so easy to get into. Zoe Elias wants, with her whole being, to be a piano prodigy but unfortunately, she doesn't have a piano. Instead, her father purchase an organ and Zoe ends up stuck taking lessons. She enters a Perform-O-Rama contest and learns a lot about herself, her dreams, and her family.

What I love about Zoe is her unrelentingly positive but realistic take on life. She wants a piano, not an organ, but she approaches her lessons with a mostly good attitude. Her dad has a variety of mental issues and doesn't leave the house. And while this upsets Zoe, she tries to be understanding and supportive in a way that is realistic for tweens. And even when Zoe gets mad and upset, she manages to bring it back to doing what is good for her. She deals with losing friends and some school bullies, though the situation is not fully resolved. There's a lot going on in this book but Urban ties it together in a sweet, meaningful way.

Totally recommended for elementary school students. And I'm looking forward to Hound Dog True. I'm saying 5 stars! I believe that this is the kind of book that a lot of kids will like and appreciate. In fact, I read this because one of my 4th graders told me it is a really great book -- and she was right.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Crooked Kind of Perfect.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelley (new)

Shelley I had a hard time getting thru the first few chapters. I may give it another shot. Thanks!

Laura I listened to it as an audio book and really liked it. Need to take a look at the print version - I heard it's lots of short chapters.

message 3: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Funny, I listened to it too. Maybe it was just the mood I was in. Gonna try again thanks to you.