Sammy Goode's Reviews > Something Different

Something Different by S.A. Reid

Jan 21, 12

I cannot say more than this...I LOVED this book. S.A. Reid took what could have been a formulaic rehashing of a sugar daddy meets needy twink and transformed it into a love story that resounded with healing, redemption and hope. James, a rent boy, illiterate, unloved, near homeless waif stumbles upon Michael, a shadow of a man who now lives trapped in a loveless marriage writing textbooks while harboring the desire to be more...feel more...love more. James' slick come on leaves Michael breathless and shaken and more than a little turned on. Meanwhile James cannot allow himself to even remotely think of the possibility of life beyond whoring himself. On one hand a damaged older man who lives in a fragile loveless existence, barely holding on to his soul...on the other a young, illiterate man whose jaded and miserable life revolves around endless tricks and an unrequited love for a selfish bastard of a man. In the novel, Something Different, these two damaged souls collide and turn each others barely tolerable existence upside down.

This was a remarkable book--truly inspiring. Michael doesn't simply rescue James; he gives him the tools to restore his confidence, his independence and by doing so, inspires in James a depth of love we should all hope to encounter in a partner one day.

The characters were richly developed and so very like-able. You wanted them to succeed--you wanted them to heal. The foray into sexual abuse suffered by both men was done with grace and compassion. The tender yet stark manner Ms Reid uses to develop this part of her story line was rich in emotion and visually stunning. You felt their shame...you cried their tears.

In a real world where so often, young men like James are simply part of our society's throw away minority; and where men like Michael are left to linger unhappy and passionless existence, Ms Reid cries out on their behalf and tells the world to take notice--see what wonderful souls you have chosen to throw away.

I highly recommend this novel to you. I will be standing in line for this author's next work. I hope to see you there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Different.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris Out of curiosity, why did you rate a book that you loved so much only one star?

Sammy Goode Chris wrote: "Out of curiosity, why did you rate a book that you loved so much only one star?"

OMG Chris--thank you for seeing that--fixed!! LOL!! That's what I get for writing late at night!! Loss the kitties for me!

Chris You are very welcome! I was confused and wondering if maybe I just need more caffeine or something... :)