June's Reviews > Dark Fire

bookshelves: fantasy, dragons, alternative-world
Recommended to June by: Lisa Telomen
Recommended for: older D'Lacey fans
Read from May 01 to 12, 2012, read count: 1

I had a little trouble finishing it. The book takes a dark turn and I'm not sure I even follow the ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Fire.

05/01/2012 page 400

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joan (new)

Joan Let me know what you think. This is another series I started then lost track of.

June Well, the copy I was reading was missing pages 376-409, then the second copy was too. I called around and finally found one that wasn't missing the pages and hope to finish it over the weekend, thought I also have The One and Only Ivan and the new Kane.

message 3: by Joan (new)

Joan I need to go buy the new Kane. Perhaps this weekend. I've been troubled with a hurt back lately which is really lowering the number of trips I make.

June I hope you feel better soon! Maybe just put the Kane on hold and you can rest up until it comes in.

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan June, we didn't even get it ordered till this week, possible it won't officially be ordered till Monday. I may get old and grey if I wait for the hold to appear! However, I'm not sure I'll be up to getting it this weekend. We'll see....

June Whoa, it's a 2010 book. I'm behind in my reading, so I thought your library would have it. My cousin gave it a four, but says it is much darker than the earlier books & has a cliff hanger ending.

message 7: by Joan (new)

Joan Sorry, I meant the Kane book, not this one. I'm afraid to look this one up! OK, I did. Whew. We have it but only 5 copies in a 35 branch system. We DO have it though!

June We only had about 6 and at least 3 were missing the 33 pages. (Sorry, I didn't check the previous message to see what book we had been talking about.) Doesn't your system have a pre-order plan?

message 9: by Joan (new)

Joan We should but as far as I know, we don't. Baker and Taylor is supposed to be putting together carts for us to order from. We have to order less than 90 days before pub since they can stop looking for a book after 90 days. But this system seems to miss some obvious books. When Red Pyramid came out I had to scramble and beg for help getting it ordered since it was the down time of our FY. The auditors are nasty if there are unpaid bills at the end of the FY. So we stop ordering in May (May 11 this year) with a pub date of June 12 or earlier. Since they haven't had much luck putting together budgets for several years, we likely won't start ordering again until July if we're lucky. It could easily be August or even Sept going by some years. Did I mention I'm not impressed with my system's organization? Oh well, I have 3 years 7 months to go. We open New Main sometime next summer when it'll be 2 years ? months till retirement. Should be interesting......

message 10: by June (new) - rated it 3 stars

June Wow! That is a bit long.

We have 2 or 3 branches opening this summer. I am hoping I'll be able to stay where I'm at.

A couple years til retirement?!? I'm hoping to last another 10 years or so, until my youngest gets through college. I guess I'll see if my retirement plan has survived then.

Interesting, it's always interesting working with the public...

message 11: by Joan (new)

Joan Oh yes! Rarely boring, although as I said to the guard after a fistfight this last week, boring is far underrated!

Do you the 90 day period is pretty long? Do you know how long your vendor gets to fill an order? It won't change anything for us, I have no influence on that. I'm just curious.

message 12: by June (new) - rated it 3 stars

June Yes, I totally agree that boring is underrated. Isn't there some place that it's a curse to wish someone an interesting life?

I'll see if I can remember to check with our buyer about how long they have.

message 13: by Joan (new)

Joan Yes, a Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times. Think about almost any event in history. Then think whether you'd have wanted to be there. Probably not. Joan of Arc? Scary time to be a woman, especially if you dare to have "visions". Bloody Mary? She probably didn't kill as many as died under her brother's reign but she certainly did have people killed for not believing the right faith. Her's of course. Don't forget she was the granddaughter of the fanatical Isabella of Castille who started the Inquisition in Spain to get rid of heretics. Heck, go to relatively recent events. Our revolution? Remember, the "founding fathers" were traitors to the English. And both sides were fairly nasty to people who didn't agree with them. I could go on for hours most likely but I'll spare you. In case you can't tell, history is one of my passions.

I'd be curious to hear what your buyer has to say, thanks for finding out.