Guy's Reviews > Me

Me by Ricky Martin

The editing is the worst part of the book, with many redundant and/or useless phrases repated throughout: "Needless to say" being one of the most ironic and unintentionally humorous after the 5th or 6th time. I got the sense from this book that Martin is still someone trying very hard to please others, only this time he's fallen into the hands of a new age guru instead of the clutches of a marketing executive. What he claims to have finally achieved reads more like new scripts he has learned, regurgitating someone else's words or trying on a new hat.
"Me" is still revelatory as a glimpse into the struggle to find identity in the midst of constant publicity, in circumstances lacking boundaries, and without the foundation of basic childhood development stages. I read the book during the beginning of Michael Jackson's personal physician's trial, so the concept of celebrities surrounded by yes-men was heavy on my mind. Martin's story is important, partly because we see the consequence of not failing, and the limitations of a life of fame lived under a microscope.
This is not a celebrity tell-all book. There are no pictures and Martin doesn't name names unless it's to say something nice.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me.