Amy's Reviews > The Godwulf Manuscript

The Godwulf Manuscript by Robert B. Parker

Oct 22, 11

bookshelves: mystery, series
Read in October, 2011

This is the very first Spenser novel ever, and now, having read it, I can't remember for the life of me why I avoided it for so long; something about the word 'Godwulf' I found off-putting, because the end seems a lot like "awful" which, in retrospect, seems stupid.

Spenser himself is not quite fully the Spenser he is in later books - he doesn't always remember where his quotations came from, and, in a truly shocking twist, he gets winded from climbing 4 flights of stairs; but it's nice to see that at one point in time he was a mortal just like the rest of us. There's no Hawk and no Susan (which some people might like - I just discovered she's a fairly divisive character; personally, I love her both for herself and for the fact that a smart Jewish girl is the love interest), but Belson and Quirk are there, as are several other characters that make me want to re-read all of the books to see if they pop up again.

Of course, the real draw is Spenser, who, despite the minor details mentioned above and a couple of others, remained remarkably consistent in his 40-year career of private eying the mean streets of Boston. Even though the later books are, well, slim, it's very easy to see why Robert B. Parker didn't want to let this character go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Godwulf Manuscript.