Ashelynn's Reviews > Here

Here by Denise Grover Swank

Oct 22, 2011

Read from November 27 to December 02, 2011

This review also appears on Gypsy Book Reviews.

HERE is a story of loses and aching and romance. It’s such a gorgeous book, from the cover to the words inside, that all I really want to do is stare at the cover. (Somebody has said she’s hovering OVER the water, but I think she’s standing on top of the water. What do you think?)

Julia is broken in the beginning of this book. It’s been six months of the car accident that killed her best friend Monica, and I’m glad Denise didn’t start the story right before the accident happened because it would have made it be less of a mystery. For one, Julia doesn’t think she caused the accident, but the police do. But there’s no proof that Julia caused the accident. It just… happened.

And because Denise started the story where she did, readers get to know the new Julia, not the old Julia that everybody wants back. And I think that gives the readers an easier time for connecting with Julia and what she’s going through.

Evan. Oh, sweet Evan. And Reece. Can’t forget Reece. I don’t even know what to say about these boys except GIRD YOUR LOINS. Both are equally hot, equally sweet, and I am dying to know which one Julia chooses so I can have the other! (But I’m voting for Evan. I like Evans.)

There is a prologue—but I think it’s so freaking necessary. For one, it starts with cold war and the Cuban Missile Crisis. It’s important because the sci-fi part of this book is there’s an alternate universe… and in that alternate universe, Monica is alive and Julia is dead. I love the alternate universe. It’s horrible and damaged because there the Cuban Missile Crisis did happen. The government trends on the dystopian type (overruling and in control, so the citizens have no freedom.) I just love how Denise builds the world. Nothing gets me faster than fantastic worldbuilding. *_*

The book is fantastic. It grabbed me right away and didn’t let me go—even after I flipped the last page. It ends on a cliffhanger (GAH!), and although I knew the ending was coming, I flipped the page to continue reading!

It’s so brilliantly written and amazing. The characters grow, especially Julia, and I’m dying to find out what happens in THERE, the sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here.

11/27/2011 page 42
11/27/2011 page 42
12.0% ""It seems fitting that the lines of my face match the hardness of my heart." love this line so much."
12/02/2011 page 180
51.0% "I know what is going to happen, but guh, need to keep reading. <3"
09/04/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I bought this on my kindle. Very excited to read it! I love the cover.

Ashelynn the cover is absolutely gorgeous! hope you love it, Jennifer! i do. a lot. :)

message 3: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ This cover is pretty. Is there a cliffhanger?

Ashelynn yeah, there is. it's not really bad--there's a climax and everything, it's just one of those cliffhangers that leaves you wanting the sequel. (like City of Fallen Angels or Wildefire by Karsten Knight.)