Jasmine's Reviews > How to Save a Life

How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr

Oct 22, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, ya
Read from October 21 to 22, 2011

I need a few days, and maybe a reread, to write a review of this book. But Sara Zarr has a way of giving us characters who you dislike, or find strange, or who you mistrust, and by the end of the book, you open your whole heart to them. Here's one of the quotes that I underlined.

"Anger I can deal with. Anger is easy for me. It can actually be kind of energizing to fume and feel superior and think about all the ways you're right and other people are wrong."

"A lot of times when I look at the world and everyone in it, I feel like they all know something I don’t. I’m not dumb; I can see how it works. But it’s like double Dutch jump rope. In grade school I would watch the ropes fly and see girl after girl jump in and either get it right or get tangled in the ropes and laugh. I’d stand there with my hands ready and my body going back and forth, trying to get the rhythm and the right moment, and Ms. Trimble, the PE teacher, would say, “Come on, Mandy, everyone’s waiting,” and I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t figure out how to get in.

That’s how life feels to me. Everyone is doing it; everyone knows how. To live and be who they are and find a place, find a moment. I’m still waiting."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Save a Life.