Kelly's Reviews > Blaze of Memory

251943
Oct 22, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, physical-books, read-in-2012, signed
Read from July 07 to 08, 2012

This book... took me by surprise. I'm not quite sure if I mean that in a good way or a bad way. On one hand, I was disappointed that one of the main characters wasn't a Changeling because the Changelings are the highlight of this series for me. Then, there's the other hand - the one where the heroine had been tortured and nearly killed by someone who the Psy look to for guidance. That's creepy and I liked it.

Let's face it, due to the months of torture she's been subjected to, Katya is screwed up something fierce. She doesn't know if she can trust any of the desires that pop into her head - from using her mental gifts to her need to travel North to her desire to kiss Dev - because she doesn't know if they were implanted as a way to get close to her target. Second guessing herself isn't enough. She's third and fourth guessing and she still doesn't know if she can trust herself. Yet, she can't keep from taking the comfort - both physical and emotional - that Dev offers her.

Now I said that I was disappointed that we didn't get a Changeling this time around but Katya exhibits some of the traits that make the Changelings so irresistible to me. She craves human contact the way the Changelings do. She has practically zero emotional filters. Her conditioning has been so compromised by her torture that emotion is practically an energy source for her. Okay, not exactly, but she does draw strength knowing that she's not alone and that she has someone to lean on. In a lot of ways, Katya is the Changeling of this pairing. Although Dev gives her a run for her money with the constant possessive MINE that pops into his head whenever she's around.

I did enjoy this book overall but I still find the constant political maneuverings of the Psy Council to be a lot to take in. I like that they're an adversary for the Changelings and the rogue Psy but I never know who to trust. All the backstabbing and triple crossing gets hard to follow. That's probably just me, though. Anyway. I'm ready for book 8. Let's do this!

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blaze of Memory.