Amy's Reviews > Double Fault

May 20, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2007

I read this because I loved We Need to Talk About Kevin. Loved, loved, loved. This book doesn't even come close. It is also an examination of a romantic relationship and gender differences... but the characters are despicable and it's not nearly as well-written. The plot is also not as compelling as Kevin's. A lot of the conficts that arose were totally contrived and seemed like incidents that would occur in a sitcom- not an authentic description of a relationship. She could have described the same tensions without such silly plot points. Non-spoiler example: The book is essentially about a female pro tennis player who can't handle her husband becoming more successful in the sport. One chapter is about how a reporter comes to interview her; she thinks the reporter is there to do a profile on her but he's actually there to do a profile on her husband. AARGH! How stupid. Silly and unbelievable. Spells out the conflict TOO perfectly. Instead of being so gimmicky, why didn't Shriver just have the journalist do a profile on her, but ask a few questions about the husband? The same effect could have been achieved in a much more believable way.
Anyway about two thirds of the way through, when they start actually discussing the problems in their relationship, there is some interesting/insightful dialogue between husband and wife that I enjoyed reading... that's why I gave this book 2 starts instead of 1.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Fault.