Taschima Cullen's Reviews > Reached

Reached by Ally Condie

Nov 14, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from October 25 to 27, 2012

Party pooper coming through!

description

Let me give it to you all cut and dry... it was okay, entertaining, but not what I was expecting.

description

That was... unexpected to say the least. Every time I think of Matched, the first book in the series, I get this happy feeling in my head because it was a book I really loved. And that book was about love, plain and simple. Forbidden love found in a hopeless place (HA, to quote Rhianna). Sure Crossed dropped the ball a tad, but that usually happens with the second book. I was hoping that Reached would go back to its roots and blossom once more, but I feel like it doesn't even belong in the same series. The story took a turn that was just weird and not so much unexpected like "Woah! That would never happen" as in "Wow, I really thought something else was going to be the focus of the story".

Cassia, Ky, and Xander are all playing their parts to bring the Society down. Cassia is sorting, Ky is flying planes of some sorts, and Xander is working with the medicine peoples. The shit hits the fan pretty early on in the story so we are left in the rest of the story dealing with the repercussions. This is all good really, until a plague breaks out in the Society, a plague brought by the Rebellion in their twisted plan to be the saviors of this new world. Only, the plague gets worse and worse, and there is nobody able to provide a cure.

And that is basically what the whole story focuses on for the entire book. A race to find the cure. It's just, it seems like a whole new series after a certain point. I thought The Matched trilogy dealt more with the characters, and how they are and how they think and feel. Matched was more character driven and Reached is a lot more plot driven than anything. At the beginning the story was about Cassia and Ky, and, let's face it, love. By the end the story has something about love, but the character are yet again separated throughout the novel and the plague is all the rave, front and center.

The book is more about Xander than anything else really. Xander, Cassia and their friendship. But more just Xander. In my mind Matched was more Cassia, Crossed was more Ky, and Reached was more Xander. I think that's why I liked Matched more because I like who Cassia is more. The quiet rebel. But I love me some Xander too, so I was thrilled to learn about his story, I just didn't expect the story to be more about him.

So at the end my veridict is I liked/enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I had come to expect from the series. I am sure a lot of people will love/enjoy it though. The writing is still beautiful, there are some passages that take your breath away, but that wasn't enough to distract me from the fact that the path Reached ended up taking didn't feel right. I am open to the suggestion of making a fourth book/novella and giving the finale another go.
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reached.

10/26/2012 page 70
show 2 hidden updates…

Anncleire I envy you so much!

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole So lucky!

Belle so jealous ! how'd you get an early copy?

Taschima Cullen I'm a part of the Silk and Paper campaign going around to promote Reached >.< Yeah, pretty much lucky!

Horse N. I agree with you. I kinda see what the author was trying to convey with the plague - making a statement about both The Society and The Rising. But I feel like she could have done a lot more - particularly with Cassia's role at the Gallery. So much of these books have been about poetry and how a poet or a poem can be the voice of a revolution (or movement). There was a real opportunity to make Cassia the voice of the people as their poet. I think Crossed suffered because it was acting as a setup for this book. But I honestly think this book suffered because it was a set up for a spin-off series about the Otherworlds and Matthew Markham. At least, I found myself to be more curious about the Otherworlds (Otherlands?) and Matthew Markham than about the story I was reading. If the author didn't pick up on that, she's a fool.

Taschima Cullen Horse wrote: "I agree with you. I kinda see what the author was trying to convey with the plague - making a statement about both The Society and The Rising. But I feel like she could have done a lot more - parti..."

Exactly! It just took a weird turn, not what I was expecting at all. I thought it was also gonna be about Cassia, and her role. When she made the gallery I was like "now this is going somewhere" but then she was taken away and that was that. Plague time.

Vanessa Completely agree. I'm almost done with the book but part of me is a little ...what's the word...? I can't even describe. But I didnt expect this turn of events. It had me on an emotional roller coaster. Don't even get me started on Indie. There were so many different females filtering in the love triangle that I felt Cassia would end up alone. But seeing as the plague is the center of the story...I just hope it ends well and has some closure. Still love the series though

Kami I agree this book felt off, it didn't blend in well with the first two books which i loved. The first book had the forbidden love and the second book had her tracking down her love which i liked and this one didn't really have anything to do with love it was about finding a cure and repeating the same microchip thingy her grandpa left which got annoying after the first three times i read it.

R.S. Carter "Okay" and "Entertaining". Yup. That's what I walked away with. Just finished it.