Katie's Reviews > Lost Memory of Skin

May 15, 2015

did not like it
bookshelves: male-author, us-south
Read in October, 2011

I don't ever remember finishing a book, putting it down, and saying aloud, "Well, that was a stupid book." Until now. The book had potential. It is about a young sex offender who is on probation and living under a bridge because he isn’t allowed to live within so many miles of day cares, schools, etc. He can’t leave the county, so under this bridge is the only place he can live. Then along comes this professor who is allegedly studying the connection between convicted sex offenders and homelessness. The form a friendship of sorts, but the character of the professor is just not very well developed and I just didn't get it.

The book had potential to make powerful statements about the complicated nature of pedophilia and other sex offenses, and it seemed like maybe it was going to get there, but it never really did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost Memory of Skin.

message 1: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary I'm only 1/4 through this book and wondering where the hell the story went! It seems to have taken a sharp left turn into Sillyville, honestly. Very disappointing.

Edward You're right - pedophilia is infinitely more complicated than the Kid's problems, interestingly and sympathetically depicted as they are. The books' potential to make a even more powerful statement is never fulfilled.