Ken's Reviews > Split Second

6720292
Oct 25, 2011

liked it
Read from October 22 to 25, 2011

Two separate incidents involving Secret Service agents are linked in a plot that might be a bit too clever. In 1996 Sean King was assigned to defend a presidential candidate, and in a tiny rural hotel, the man is assassinated and King is wounded. Eight years later, another presidential candidate is visiting a funeral home, and Special Agent Michelle Maxwell is in charge of the detail, and her man is kidnapped.

Dozens of character are introduced, and numerous explanations are presented, and nearly four hundred pages later, the rather "Big Picture" is revealed.

Note: Whenever two brothers are introduced and one of them is disfigured by self inflicted knife marks, hard drugs are involved, and has been committed to an insane asylum, pay special attention! Has this tired ploy ever been introduced, and NOT imply much more than it seems?

The novel will keep your interest until the very end, but way too convoluted for my taste.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Split Second.

10/22/2011 "Just begun, and I'm already intrigued."
10/25/2011
10.0% "I've been a die-hard fan of the Matt Scudder series for decades, and can't wait to delve into the new one!!"
10/25/2011 "Finished SPLIT SECOND, and a bit unsatisfying. My time could have been better spent."