Lo's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Oct 22, 2011

it was ok
Read in October, 2011

Maybe I missed the deeper meaning or something in this book, but I didn't care for it. I kept waiting for the ending like a final exam - the entire book was running at 3 threes, and the ending would hopefully come together to make this a four. In my case, I think that hope made the ending even more of a let down. This book isn't quite as bad as a two, more like a 2.7.

- very unique plot line, took a lot of creativity to come up with
- if I was more into gender rights and power, I think I would have appreciated this book more also. It delved into gender power and roles, where each is
kept restrained by the other. Atwood hints at how women give up their power on a superficial level (in terms of society) to their husbands (as seen in the wives) but in reality, they hold an equivalent amount of power over them in the terms of the household and even their husbands happiness. As a reader, look for this - how wives determine their own happiness to some degree, and how it is a sinister trait of women to make weaker women unhappy when they themselves feel embittered, as opposed to taking out their frustrations on their husbands (or other males in the case of the Aunts).

- I kept waiting for something to happen, for some great reveal for her to escape. Not to spoil it, but it didn't happen. Atwood teases us with memories of Luke and the handmaid's daughter, but it comes to nothing at the end.
- I like books with distinct endings, or at least conclusive. Unfortunately, as much as I like Margaret Atwood, she likes to leaves things open ended. If a handmaid 2 is written, I will revise my rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.