Kayla's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

712048
Jun 25, 12

bookshelves: vampire, night-prince, romance-paranormal, jeaniene-frost, favorites, men-european, women-kick-ass
Read from June 24 to 25, 2012

We've all been waiting for Vlad's book for a long time. Finally it's here!

The book starts out with Leila's life. She travels around working in a carnival doing the trapeze. She is no stranger to the super natural, as her partner Marty is a little vampire with a big heart, he is a father figure to Leila. After a freak accident, involving a downed power line, Leila was left with a nasty scar and physic powers. Leila can't touch people without electrocuting them; as a result she runs away from home. Leila discovers that vampires are, for the most part, immune to her electrical waves.

Word gets out about Leila's powers in the super natural world. Leila gets an unwanted visit from four vamps who want to use her powers to track another vamp. They kidnap Leila and force her to locate the vampire they're after. That vampire turns out to be Vlad. Between Leila's physic abilities and Vlad's power to read human minds, the two communicate and Vlad flies to the rescue.

Vlad soon finds out that someone is out for his head. So he forces/makes a deal with Leila to help him find out who the would be assassin is. The action heats up and Leila and Vlad soon realize that Vlad's ancient foe has captured Marty. Time is running out. They must come up with a plan to save Marty and stop the attacks on Vlad's people before it's to late.

Cat, Bones, Mencheres, and Kira make a brief appearance in the book. Bones, never one to lose a moment to get back at Vlad, teaches Leila how to block Vlad from her mind. Lot's of humor from those four and from Vlad. What a riot!

I liked Leila she had a lot of similarities to Cat. They're both fighters and they both stand up to their men. The plot had me engrossed! I have to say I love the fact that it's all from Leila's perspective. It's in first person so you can see what Leila is thinking. That's one of the reasons I love the Night Huntress novels so much.

What an amazing read! I feel like I need to read the Bones and Cat books again. :) FYI major cliff hanger at the end.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.