Rachel's Reviews > The Stepford Wives

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin

Oct 27, 11

Read on October 22, 2011

This book made my blood boil. It wasn't the writing or the style of the book, it was the outrage that the husbands could create this tiny, fake world where women lived to clean and had no actual brain of their own. This book is creepy, powerful and I loved it.

You are rooting for the strong willed, intelligent, creative women in the book and are left screaming at the page 'Noooo...take your children and run!'. Obviously this is to no avail however, as the women are picked off one by one and replaced with 'housewife drones.'

The clever slow build of this book is intense, making you salivate at every page turn. Whilst it never features the wives' actual demise, you can bet the incinerator had a part to play.

Tiny details in this book send shivers down your spine as you see another thread being spun in the 'husband's club' web. Never had I wanted to punch a fictional man so much as in reading this book.

Feminism is not only dead in Stepford, it's a dirty word.

Snap up this classic from Ira Levin now, I intend to devour every word he has ever written.

My one regret for this novella? That I ever watched the sugary, sickly Nicole Kidman film of the same name. Not a patch on the original work by Ira.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stepford Wives.

10/22/2011 page 83