Zoey's Reviews > The Next Door Boys

The Next Door Boys by Jolene Betty Perry

Oct 22, 11

Read from October 21 to 22, 2011

Review originally posted: http://zoeysuncreativelytitledblog.bl...

Okay. So this usually isn't the type of book I read, and the beginning had a fair bit of religion - nothing too intense, but a lot of you know I'm not a fan of reading about religion in books.

However, for some reason I was okay with it here. It seemed like it was necessary for the plot but it wasn't being shoved in my face. And while I'm not going to say I loved it, after the beginning it didn't come up as often so it was rather easy for me to pretend there was no religion involved :P

Leigh is recovering from ovarian cancer and finally moving out of her parent's house and going to college. Of course, her family won't let her be on her own completely, so she ends up living right next door to her brother.

I loved the relationship between Leigh and her brother, Jaron, but at the same time, I feel like he wasn't developed enough. I know next to nothing about him other than he worries about Leigh, and sometimes I found myself waiting to find out more about what he likes to do and then being cut short.

The relationship between Leigh and Brian, though, was awesome. I love how you get to watch their relationship grow and change through the book - first Leigh is intimidated by him, then he becomes basically her best friend, and then something more. And Brian was a well-developed character to me =)

And then there was Leigh's relationship with herself. She wants to be independent so badly, to forget that she was "The Sick Girl," that sometimes she forgets that she still needs to take care of herself, that her body is still recovering. I thought that was very realistic; I feel like a lot of people would have done the same thing. Actually, Leigh herself was a very realistic character, and all her emotions in the book came through so clear.

AND SHE HAD A HOBBY. She sewed. That made me ridiculously happy, since YA authors seem to forget that their characters do other things besides stare at pretty boys.

I think the only real complaint I have is the ending. It felt too abrupt to me, like maybe there should have been another chapter or two before it really ended.

Overall: The Next Door Boys is a realistic, enjoyable novel about a girl recovering and realizing that she's still alive. The secondary characters are just as interesting, and I loved reading from Leigh's perspective. The relationships were fun to read, the emotions rang through loud and clear, and I honestly finished this in one night. 4 stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Door Boys.

10/21/2011 page 18
7.0% "I don't know why I'm reading this, considering there's some religious stuff O_o"