Ruth's Reviews > Heretic

Heretic by Bernard Cornwell

Oct 21, 11

bookshelves: history

** spoiler alert ** c2003. It is always such a pleasure to read Mr Cornwell. Reading this book after a clutch of mediocre offerings really brings it home as to just how good a writer Mr Cornwell is(no split infinitives for him). I was beginning to get concerned for Genevieve as any relationship with Thomas of Hookton seems to end up badly for the love interest! There are some good descriptions of battle and preparation for battle and Dorset re-appears at the end. I knew where the Grail was!!!!! It was such a jarring mention in the earlier book and unusual for Mr Cornwell to throw in a meaningless sentence - so I knew it!! I was grateful for the epilogue- it was a nice wrap up to the trilogy. The good (Abbot Planchard) and the bad (Cardinal Bessières) of organised religion are once again illustrated well. Although I now know that this is where the Archer series ends, there are so many incomplete tales that I am convinced that Mr Cornwell meant to write a few more books with Thomas of Hookton as the hero. FWFTB: 1347, grail, Gascony, Astarac: monasteries.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heretic.