Tina Dalton's Reviews > Burmese Days

Burmese Days by George Orwell

May 20, 08

bookshelves: leisure-reading, 1001-books
Read in January, 2005

I enjoyed this book, it was my first glimpse into life in India under British rule. I read it for Chris, who was suppose to read it for a class he was taking at the time. He wrote his book review based on what I told him about the book :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burmese Days.

message 1: by Wendi (new)

Wendi I'll have to check this out. It sounds interesting.

message 2: by Wendi (new)

Wendi "Besides, you could forgive the Europeans a great deal of their bitterness. Living and working among Orientals would try the temper of a saint."

I'm not sure what context this was taken in (it's from an exerpt of the book) but I had to giggle. I'm probably one of Orwell's racist people he describes in his book. Still, I'm trying to overcome my feelings regarding some of my students. I have your quote about Chinese-Americans posted on my computer and the more I watch, of all things, "Ninja Warrior" on G4TV the more I see how I need to more quickly forgive and forget my fellow man's quirks and that I am not quirkless.

But I still had to giggle about that quote.

Tina Dalton If I remember correctly, the book is told from the aspect of an English officer. I would guess this is his thinking that the quote came from. Orwell despised imperialism. I was interested to learn that he actually support socialism until he saw the evil it had the potential for. Thus we get 1984....

message 4: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Yeah, I started reading a biography on him when the book club read 1984, but I couldn't finish it. I did read the intro and insight into his life at the beginning of 1984. It talks about that. It's pretty interesting how we can think something is really awesome until we see how it works or doesn't work.

That's what I love about Ninja Warrior - it's this crazy obstacle challenge show out of Japan. Have you seen it? Anyway 100 men (and sometimes women) will compete to become the ultimate Ninja. Throughout the competition there is no nastiness. All the competitors cheer each other on because they all understand how difficult the challenges are. If someone does well, they all cheer and congratulate the challenger. Then if someone does poorly and is disqualified they all get shocked and sad for the competitor.

It's truly a good showing of how we humans ought to be. We're all going through life together, we face a lot of the same challenges. Instead of tearing each other down we should be supporting each other. So this week I've really tried to put this into practice thinking about my more "gnatty" students as competitors in Ninja Warrior and I'm on the side lines cheering them on and patting them on the back when things don't go more smoothly. Sometimes I do really well, other times I struggle but I try to watch my tone and my voice and think of Ninja Warrior.

Tina Dalton We love Ninja Warrior in our family. SOmetimes Petey "trains" for the day when he can go on Ninja Warrior/

message 6: by Wendi (new)

Wendi That's really cool! Have you seen Unbeatable Banzuke too? I love both of those shows.