Ana's Reviews > Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots

Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman

F 50x66
Nov 05, 11

Deborah Feldman's "Unorthodox” is heartbreaking, inspiring & brimming with chutzpah.
She slowly and skillfully reveals the secrets of the fanatical Satmar Chassidic community. She pulled me into the daily life of her family as I met her bubby cooking chicken soup and her grandfather reciting biblical litanies. Her family members are deeply enshrouded in the old world belief systems.
Deborah secretly struggles to reclaim her voice and break free from her family traditions. She is a feisty, fascinating woman that I was rooting for the entire book.
Anyone that has felt that they must sequester a part of themselves to fit into a community will relate to this courageous journey.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unorthodox.

Megan I won this from giveaways and cannot wait to read it. I am not Jewish-- I was raised Catholic-- but I love learning about other cultures, traditions, systems of belief and how they can shape young people on their paths of life. Being from Lancaster PA, a huge Amish cultural area, I've also been interested in how young Amish break away, or decide to stay, a part of that old, strict tradition. Anyway, excited to read this!