Peter Schulman's Reviews > Juliet, Naked

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

Oct 21, 2011

Read in October, 2011

I'm getting so frustrated being limited to using integers to rate books. This wasn't a 4, but it was much closer to that than a 3. Almost every time I rate I want to go between the numbers.

I enjoyed this one. For most of the story it moved kind of slowly, but the bonus from that was the opportunity to know what the characters were thinking and that was a big bonus. Everybody is filled with self doubt, but these people took it to a level that gave me another opportunity to ponder what motivates us. Often, I believe, even when we think we're ready to take action and believe in the outcome, our subconscious adjusts our actions to match what we believe about ourselves and the world. Hornby's characters reflect on why they did or said whatever they did or said and I enjoyed it. The slow pace built up to an ending which had me laughing out loud repeatedly as characters continued to analyze themselves and others with sarcasm and irony.

I enjoyed the musings of an internet group following the actions, lack of actions and speculated actions of a singer-songwriter who long ago dropped out of the music world. They reminded me of English teachers telling us of the symbolism and allegorical meanings of stories most authors did not intend and would find laughable.

I like Hornby. This is my third or fourth. I loved High Fidelity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Juliet, Naked.