holly quigley's Reviews > Breathless

Breathless by Anne Stuart

Oct 21, 11

bookshelves: historical-romance, made-of-awesome
Read in October, 2011

Wow. After reading the previous books in the Rohan series, I approached Breathless with not so much trepidation, as a sense of, "why am I putting myself through this, again?" The previous books have been so mid-line hit-or-miss for me, I honestly don't know why I bothered with this third one.

BOY am I glad I did! How unexpectedly awesome! The banter is spot on, I loved all the characters, the secondary romance was freakin' adorable, and the sex was steamy. If I have any criticism, it's the overuse of certain adjectives for Lucien (particularly his voice - it's silky and sinuous, we get it.). Fortunately, that seemed to ease up a bit later on.

Elements you'll either love or hate: disfigured, brooding, really bad-boy hero (seriously - we're not talking "ooooh he's a rake" here, this guy is really kind of an asshole. But he does do a turnaround, and it's done well). I-hate-your-guts-but-my-body-can't-control-its-lust trope, wallflowers-turned-adventuresses, first-orgasm-evar, etc. And dude - JEWEL THIEF. *KING* of thieves, even! So awesome. Still, it might not be for everyone. Like I said, Lucien is a right bastard, and that might not appeal to everyone. I'd rather have a real bad-boy than a lame-ass piece of cardboard any day.

And the banter and chemistry between the main couple - I really laughed out loud. Many times. Miranda and Lucien reminded me of those fiery couples in those old black and white romances where they're practically trying to kill each other but they clearly love each other. It was written so well, here.

I really am just so delighted and surprised. I absolutely did not expect to get a 5-star reading experience from this book. At most, I was hoping for a high 3-stars. I will absolutely read this one again, and recommend it to others. Yay!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathless.