Jeffrey's Reviews > Forming

Forming by Jesse Moynihan

Oct 21, 11

bookshelves: comics
Read in October, 2011

Yet another book with excellent production from UK publishing outfit Nobrow. The books Nobrow puts out are so nice they're pretty much worth buying no matter what the inside is like. Moynihan's work has always had plenty of humorous moments, and this book continues that while adding some beautiful color artwork. I think it's a prime example of a new kind of genre - the kind of comics that include CF's Powr Mastrs and Brian Chippendale's If 'n Oof. I guess there's a few characteristics that tend to run through these works:
- mostly Fantasy but with elements of Sci Fi
- quirky main characters, who tend to be selfish, immature or Id driven
- extensive use/creation of mythology relating to supernatural or magical powers, mysticism, etc.
- narrative usually involves a journey, overthrowing some foreign/alien ruling power
- lots of cartoonish violent action
- adult content
- surrealist imagery or action
- formal experimentation of comics form
I don't know, something like that. Anyway, "Forming" is a pretty good example of the genre, entertaining and beautiful to look at. I want to try and think of a name for this genre, though. It makes me want to draw a book like this, but I'm going to use the excuse that I need to wait until the genre has a name.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forming.