James Swenson's Reviews > Ascension

Ascension by Christie Golden

Oct 21, 11

Read in October, 2011, read count: 1

It's sad to give this only one star.

I was born in 1977, just like Star Wars. I grew up with the Jedi, and I'm certainly not new to the universe of Star Wars novels. I loved the Thrawn stories, from Heir to the Empire through Vision of the Future, The Truce at Bakura, and Shadows of the Empire.
I liked the Rogue Squadron books, the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy by Michael P. Kube-McDowell; I even liked some things about Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

But Ascension is the eighth book in the Fate of the Jedi series, which begins 43 years after A New Hope. By this time, we have gotten too far removed from the life of Anakin Skywalker; I'm no longer asking, "And what happened next?"

I still want to know more about Luke, Leia, and Han. I'm interested in Mara, Gaeriel, Callista, and Mirax. I enjoy reading about Pellaeon, and I can accept Jacen and Jaina. But I've just finished reading Ascension, and as I look back over the Dramatis Personae, I can't distinguish Drikl Lecersen, Haydnat Treen, Ivaar Workan, and Wynn Dorvan, and I don't really care. I see that the sequel to Ascension is Apocalypse, so it looks like the curators of the series may have come to the same point, and just want it to be over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascension.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Shane Mcgonigal Why do are you still reading the book then? They add more characters to make it more interesting. And while they don't actually do a whole lot in this series, they do add a little bit to the story. The only problem that I have is that it's getting a little to political.

James Swenson Good point, and in fact this is why I've stopped reading the series.

"Why do are" -> "Why are," and "to" -> "too."

message 1: by Shane (last edited May 04, 2012 08:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shane Mcgonigal So I was cleaning out my email inbox and came across a link to this and decided to tell you how the series ended.
The book started out pretty well, with a lot of action and a lot of sith getting killed. some of the deaths where pretty funny. especially the one on live Holocam.
But, the good guys won. of course. You didn't miss much although how they defeated abeloth was pretty cool. They attacked her different bodies at the same time in different places and the stress of maintaining three different bodies was to much and she went back to wherever she came from. I suggest looking it up on Wookieepedia or something to get a slightly more detailed synopsis. You might find that interesting, just to get an idea of how it ended.