Corinne E. Blackmer's Reviews > A Collection of Essays

A Collection of Essays by George Orwell

Oct 21, 2011

bookshelves: british, classic, criticism, contemporary
Recommended to Corinne by: Michael North
Recommended for: Pilar Stewart, Glenn Butler
Read from October 21 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

George Orwell
A fine collection of essays, written in clear, evocative prose, on subjects as varied as the fiction of Charles Dickens, Rudyard Kipling, Boys Magazines, "Politics and the English," "Why I Write," and what it means to be an English person.
I was particularly fond of the essays on Dickens and Kipling, respectively. Dickens has received, Orwell notes, a bad reputation as a sentimentalist and a moralist, even while he has been appropriated by Marxists and Catholics (and other conservatives). Dickens has his limits (he is not a systematic thinker), but he is kind and complex and basically Christian in his outlook. Kipling is an imperialist and a Conservative, but he understands his subject matter and is far less hypocritical than those who have attacked him. A fine volume for those who wish to have a deeper appreciation of English culture and letters from a man who is deeply suspicious of abstractions and European totalities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Collection of Essays.