Christopher Meades's Reviews > Girl in Shades

Girl in Shades by Allison Baggio

Oct 21, 11

Read in October, 2011

I loved this book. I really did.
90% of the time, I don’t finish novels. When I pick up a new book, I usually get half way through and then start asking myself – is anything in the second half of this book going to be substantially different than what’s transpired in the first half? And for most books, the answer is no. Once you’ve got half way through, you’ve got the gist of the entire novel and there’s no need to keep reading.
But with Girl in Shades, I found myself caring about Maya (the central character) and wanting to read the entirety of her journey. I even stayed up late and neglected sleep to finish it. Baggio is a very talented writer. There’s something about the way she paces her story. It’s not too fast and not too slow. It’s just right. Baggio is also able to create tight, compact descriptive sentences. In one prepositional phrase, she describes what many writers need entire paragraphs to describe.
I highly recommend this book. It’s an excellent novel and a great choice for a book club pick.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl in Shades.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Well, if you lost sleep over it (as I did your book lol) then I'd say it goes on my to read book! Thanks for such descriptive reviews :)