Jasmine's Reviews > Girl With a Pearl Earring

liked it
Recommended to Jasmine by: Lucita Chin
Recommended for: Leslie
Read in June, 2008

The model who sat for Vermeer's painting, Girl with a Pearl Earring, is unknown; scholars speculate that she was a maid who worked in the Vermeer home. This amazing little book, which brings 17th Century Holland alive, is Tracy Chevalier's imagining of how that maid, Griet, came to work for the Vermeers, how she fared in a Catholic household as a Protestant, how she navigated a household characterized by deceit and cunning, and how she came to sit for the famous painting. Not a word is wasted in this little book -- every detail becomes relevant and drives the plot forward. My one criticism is the lack of character development. Griet's actions were often incomprehensible, and characters like Pieter remained flat. I still recommend this book (and as each painting is described, I recommend going online and taking a look at it).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl With a Pearl Earring.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Hol (new)

Hol How are you liking this so far? I read it on a train a few years ago and then rented the movie, which is very beautiful! xo

Jasmine I got a few pages into it and was pulled back into Zelda by Nancy Milford (which I'll complete today). There's a simplicity about it (GWAPE) -- the setting and the writing -- that I like.

message 1: by Hol (last edited Jun 04, 2008 10:39AM) (new)

Hol I remember liking the writing, too--also the aspect of history being told from the perspective of the ordinary person.