Broche's Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

206040
Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: children-s-books-all, didn-t-finish, dual-narrator-or-multiple-pov, teen-ya-age-16-18
Read in January, 2012

A few years ago, I gave myself the gift of a New Year's resolution to stop reading any book I wasn't enjoying. I think Libba Bray and I just don't get along as reader/writer. I understand that everything she was writing was tongue-in-cheek, but it was SO over the top and SO heavily caricatured that I didn't enjoy this book at all. Reading this made me feel like she didn't respect my intelligence as a reader; as if she had to hit me over the head with fake teen-speak jokes mirroring a potential reality for some of today's teens, and the jokes were SO funny, no really, SO FUNNY - OMG, LOL, because it means, like, the exact opposite of what she's, like, writing about, you know? - it frankly kind of disgusted me. I chuckled over one or two things, but basically, this book wasn't for me.

That said, I can see its intrinsic value for teenagers, specifically girl teenagers, who would get a real kick out of something like this. In a way, it's almost subversive teen literature. As a former bookseller, I often wrestled with this question: What do you hand a girl who loves the Gossip Girls (or similar) series, but you personally wish she was reading something a little less trashy with a little more substance? This book.

I'm just not personally that demographic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.