Alexis's Reviews > Awaken

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

Jan 17, 12

Read in January, 2012

At first, this book didn't interest me much. The first few chapters tasted bland. But it's an easy read so after a week or so, I picked it back up, and I'm glad I did because the story improves... a lot.

I'm not usually a huge fan of romance, but that's what made reading this book such a great experience. The relationship between Maddie and Justin is complicated and multifaceted, a friendship that starts with an agenda but quickly turns to something inexplicable for both of them. It was interesting and amusing to see how their relationship develops throughout the story.

That said, the romance element is not the reason I recommend this book. It just makes it fun. But Kacvinsky's story is enlightening. In a society where people are nothing without their online identities, Awaken challenges its characters to grow beyond the status quo and fight to make a difference. Maddie is caught between two extremes: a rebellious past and a mapped out future, and the possibility of rebelling again, awakening, and becoming someone real in a world that mocks human interaction. Ultimately, she must decide whether to make personal sacrifices for the good of society.

Awaken reveals some disturbing problems in our own society, as well as some problems with how our society sees our youth. It is a book that challenges us to change; to see beyond social expectations and limitations, and to do something- to make a difference.

A great YA read that I recommend to all ages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken.