Natalie's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

Oct 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: weirdfamilyshit, speculative-fiction, north-america, africa, california, europe
Recommended to Natalie by: practically everyone
Recommended for: music lovers, futurists, tech junkies
Read from October 20 to 25, 2011 , read count: 1

[image error]
One reviewer, Rebecca Davis, on a bookseller's website laments being :
"mercilessly jerked around from character to character, from technique to technique, until the narrative is lost, my patience is tried, and the characters are but post-it notes on the author's plot whiteboard. To add insult to injury the last chapter . . . is the description of how a post- post-modern marketing infrastructure sells a substandard creative product to a gullible audience based on back-scratching commercialism."

Ouch! I thought, but true? maybe every word of it?

Still there are redeeming factor(s): Music, exploration of memory and aging, the characters' fears and awakenings, varied takes on attraction, marriage, parent/child relationships, generations, and the unique perspectives of children, teenagers and peer groups.
3 likes · flag

10/21/2011 page 1
10.0% "an audio book about music with no music (duh, bcs its an audio BOOK) is testament for the need for true multimedia experiences in fiction. I HATE reading about all these bands without hearing them. Someone point me to the GoonSquad playlist . . .surely there is one somewhere?"
10/24/2011 page 5
50.0% "Chapter 9 drove me CRAZY but maybe that was the point. There is plenty of crazy here in this book, that's for sure all about how we make one another crazy, dependent, loathed, loved, dysfunctional, successful and everything in between!"