Heather's Reviews > Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood

Oct 23, 11

Recommended to Heather by: Apple dippers book club
Recommended for: memoir, Iran,
Read in October, 2011, read count: 1

This is the first graphic novel that I have read. I'm glad I started with this one because it is excellent. The author so perfectly combined the text and illustrations to tell a very powerful story. Although the writing is limited due to the format, it manages to convey a lot of humor, passion and intensity.

I thought that the use of the graphic novel format for an autobiography was excellent - especially for a childhood. The format really captured the way we remember our childhood in emotionally self centered snippets. It was really interesting to learn of Iran under the Islamic Revolution from the eyes of this girl. I am excited to read the next one.

There is no only occasional language an no sex. However, there is a lot of heavy concepts such as religious oppression, torture, and war violence. All of these are told from the perspective of the author when she was about 10 to 12 years old so they are not super intense but they are sad, profound, and, well, heavy. I would probably rate it PG-13 for that reason.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persepolis.