Beth's Reviews > Her Fearful Symmetry

it was ok
bookshelves: audio-book-read, library-book
Recommended for: Nobody
Read from October 21 to November 20, 2011, read count: 1

This book is utterly contrived, though to be fair, all fiction is (it's just done much more subtly when it's well done). The entire time I was reading it I couldn't help imagining Niffenegger sitting down to write it, thinking to herself, "Hmm, how can I write another book that my readers will just looove as much as The Time Traveler’s Wife? Oooh, I know! I'll make it about two sets of twins, one set with a mysterious past. And it will be set in London and Lake Forest - everybody loves those places - so fancy! And, oh, I'll make sure it's set in a fascinating cemetery, and be sure to throw in plenty of tragic romance again, one of which involves a creepy age difference just like in my last best-seller! Etc. etc...."

It's not that Niffengegger is a terrible writer either. Her descriptions are interesting enough, but ugh. As other readers have noted, the younger twins are frustrating, nearly vapid, uninteresting characters. Martin, a modern Mr. Havisham of sorts, is really the only interesting and redeeming character in this book; otherwise, it would have only gotten 1 star and just barely deserves 2. Speaking of The Time Traveler’s Wife, I couldn’t even finish that one for all of its contrivances and read this because it was the only semi-decent choice on the library audio bookshelves. After this fiasco, I made sure to start planning ahead and placing books on hold that I really wanted to read rather than take my chances again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Fearful Symmetry.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Mary (last edited Nov 28, 2011 07:10PM) (new)

Mary Really Beth, you should be doing this for a living, not just writing these for my edification and your 42 other Goodreads buddies! You are brilliant!

Beth Thanks, Mary! That's a huge compliment coming from you.