Derrick's Reviews > Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

M_50x66
Jul 29, 12

I was inspired to read this book after watching his TV show No Reservations, in which he is the narrator. I appreciate his sarcasm, his passion for food, and his colorful descriptions and observations of the cities he visits. I could not help but hear his voice as I read each word, with his snobby, arrogant, yet sentimental and honest tone ringing in my mind.
Bourdain told it "like it is." His experience working in kitchens of different culinary backgrounds, each consisting of a different cast of zany characters, is filled with stories that shock the reader: scandalous sex-in-the-kitchen episodes, drug and binge drinking escapades, rampant racism and sexual harassment, a stabbing, a suicide, etc. His life sounded much like a rockstar rather than the life of some disgruntled and miserable deadbeat line cook.
I would recommend this book for the summer. It's relatively light reading. It's honest. It's insightful. And, best of all, it's laugh-out-loud hilarious.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitchen Confidential.