Stephanie's Reviews > Amy Vanderbilt's Complete Cookbook

Amy Vanderbilt's Complete Cookbook by Amy Vanderbilt

2206183
Oct 02, 2012

bookshelves: food, nonfiction

I like having a variety of cookbooks on hand, and this one complements my collection as the most formal and staid of them all. Most recipes are geared towards fancy dinner parties, not family meals, which is fine, except that it's not trying to make fancy dinner parties easy on you. It doesn't avoid lots of ingredients or complicated procedures.
There is a great selection of interesting recipes (though obviously it's weak in the vegetarian/vegan department), from basics like English muffins to eyebrow-raising dishes such as "prune whip." I often flip through it to get inspiration and then find a simpler version online.
There are helpful components such a solid index, reference tables, a glossary, suggested menus with accompanying illustrations of the appropriate table setting, and a "cheese chart" that describes the characteristics and uses of 40 kinds of cheese. Pretty awesome stuff.
In case you were wondering: the Andy Warhol illustrations are nice but not that crazy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy Vanderbilt's Complete Cookbook.