Estara's Reviews > A Bride's Story, Vol. 2

A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 by Kaoru Mori

Oct 23, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, manga, favorites
Recommended to Estara by: It's the mangaka of Emma!
Recommended for: fans of historical Silk road slice of life
Read on October 20, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I really adore the way Mori interweaves plot and cultural history in this series - even better than in Emma to my mind. However if you mostly read for plot and romance, this is probably not the best Mori series for that.

The fall-out of the fact that Amir's family want to give her to a very strong tribe to the north of them (one that seems to have treated the previous brides of this tribe like dirt - all have died) really is the action centre this time around.

The contemporary generation of Amir, led by her brother, are quite unwilling to drag her back, but the uncles remain merciless, so it comes to a fight between the settled villagers and the Nomads. Amir gets really scared this time, but the villagers are victorious and her young husband Karluk really shines when he fights off the last free Nomad who got as far as their room.

In consequence, Amir really starts seeing him as a man ^^ (great-grandmother says she has "gained the heart of a bride"). We have some more of the beautiful nudity Mori does so well, but not in connection with the child groom - just Amir bathing and daydreaming.

With this resolved we learn about the incredible embroidery that the women do all their lives and what it means to the tribes, we visit the baking house and meet a girl from the village who is so outspoken she hasn't found a husband yet.

In preparation for the next volume the English anthropologist Smith, who has lived with the village and Karluk's family, gets so many letters (and a visit from Lady Hester Stanhope, I think - she isn't named in the book ^^) that he decides to move on to his next aim. Karluk and Amir take him part of the way, and Mori lets him be her voice when he muses about the life of these people.

In her fun omake, Mori says she wants to follow the anthropologist Smith to his next goal and introduce a new bride, so I expect if we see Amir and Karluk again it will be as a visit, and maybe when Karluk is finally old enough to really be seen as Amir's husband even in our western culture.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bride's Story, Vol. 2.

message 1: by apple (new)

apple A friend of mine highly recommended this manga too! she said the artwork is very beautiful. Just a quick look at the cover and I can see it's so detailed

again thank you for sharing the Baen link ^3^ Dear Estara, you're my treasure trove of e-book resources ♥ (yay! they accept Paypal too. that's convenient)

btw, how old is Amir's young husband? I imagine he must be chibi and cute^^

message 2: by Estara (last edited Oct 22, 2011 12:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Estara Well, she's 20 - so pretty old to be marrying in the first place at that time and culture - and I can't quite remember ... He's 12, still before the big teenage growth spurt definitely.

If you've never read Kaoru Mori, she does INCREDIBLY detailed artwork A LOT!! She did it in Emma, which is based on her researching Victorian England and centring more around one love story - and she does it here with tribes of the Silkroad in the early 19th century, I believe.

Also, I adore enabling book purchases ^^, so you are very welcome. Except for manga, I rarely buy print these days. I got my first e-reader in February 2008

Salimbol I'm quite intrigued by your reviews of this series - it's going on my wishlist!

message 4: by Estara (last edited Oct 25, 2011 09:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Estara Salimbol wrote: "I'm quite intrigued by your reviews of this series - it's going on my wishlist!"

Did you read Emma? CMX released it completely (which means getting into Kaoru Mori via softcover might be a cheaper first taste). But I agree that this is really well researched and superbly drawn with likeable characters. You do need to like history to appreciate this mangaka, but as far as I know, you do ^^.

ETA: err, I meant to point out that this series is only released in exquisitely produced hardcover and therefore correspondingly expensive.

message 5: by Sho (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sho Since you recommend this highly, I read them today. Really nice!! I like it. I think I might like it better than Emma!

Estara Yay!!
I think she continues to improve with plot and characters - although her art was exquisite in Emma already. Have you read anything else by her? Is there anything else available?
For that matter, is she continuing this series in some magazine, as she indicated in the Omake of the second volume?

Heh, I'm treating you like my personal manga font of wisdom ^^. If you know the answers, do tell and if not, I can always research myself.

message 7: by Sho (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sho Estara wrote: "Yay!!
For that mat..."

Did you know you can take a look at how she draws her manga here?

She is still writing the manga on a manga magazine called "Fellows” it seems

Estara Ohhh! Thanks for the video link, especially!

Is the third volume the last one for Brides' Story?

message 9: by Sho (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sho Estara wrote: "Ohhh! Thanks for the video link, especially!

Is the third volume the last one for Brides' Story?"

Not the last one, the latest one. Don't worry there are more to come!

Estara Great!