Laura's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Nov 02, 11

Recommended to Laura by: Thanks Maegan! :)
Read from October 27 to November 02, 2011

4.5 Stars

Vampire Academy sucked me right back into the vampire world. I was a bit of a vampire addict a few years ago, but with all the Hollywood hype and television shows, vampires seemed to be everywhere. My heart needed a break from the genre to build some darkness and mystery back into the vampire lore. I believe I found the right series to spark up my love again!

Richelle Mead’s world filled with secrets and shadows captured my imagination right from page one. This story is filled with the power of friendship, family, loyalty, and love. Rose, Lissa, and Dimitri have already found places in my heart to hide out in until I can read more of the series. Dimitri especially has found a nice warm corner. ;)

Finding a new world and history to get lost in is one of my favorite things to do! I look forward to breathing in this world again and again.

On to book two…..:D I can’t wait!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

Quotes Laura Liked

Richelle Mead
“And sometimes, if I was really, really lucky, he’d smile at me. A real smile, too—not the dry one that accompanied the sarcasm we tossed around so often. I didn’t want to admit it to anyone—not to Lissa, not even to myself—but some days, I lived for those smiles.”
Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy

10/28/2011 page 60
18.0% "How did this book get by me!?! HELLO Dimitri! :D" 4 comments
11/01/2011 page 281
85.0% "“And sometimes, if I was really, really lucky, he’d smile at me. A real smile, too-not the dry one that accompanied the sarcasm we tossed around so often. I didn’t want to admit it to anyone—not to Lissa, not even to myself—but some days, I lived for those smiles.”
I'm in love! :D" 9 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura Okay, okay! Jeez the pressure! ;) In my defense—the rock I lived under was really, really big! :D

Ariana Hmm.. I want to start reading this too :D And I think I will, as I can't decide what else to read, LOL :)))

Maegan I just squealed!! Read like the wind and tell me what you think!!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, good! I just reread this yesterday and I enjoyed it just as much ad the first time. And the second and third. Lol.

Laura Hmmm…I am SO excited and super curious on this one! I can’t believe I have not read Mead until now. It’s a re-read book?—an old friend to return to? Very curious now!
Thanks ladies! I will sink by teeth into it tonight! ;)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko You are reading the first book to my favorite series. It is so good!!!!! I am in love too. Be prepared for the ride and possibly a few anxiety attacks along the way. At one point I thought I might have a heart attack or a stroke. This series is THAT GOOD!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Oh and one word = Dimitri **sighs**

Laura JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) wrote: "Oh and one word = Dimitri **sighs**"

Dimitri has pretty much stolen my heart—the man has it all—from the beauty & strength to the love of 80s music! :D It’s love!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko tehehehe yes I was cracking up when he started listening to the 80's music. Oh and he loves to read.. hello what a bonus. He does have it all.

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Last two books went downhill for me, but I'm still quite fond of the series. Frostbite was my favourite. Oh, and I'm all about Adrian <3

Ariana Adrian? I was waiting for a Dimitri, but if there's an Adrian too I don't really mind :))

Laura Thanks Ari & Aly! :)
Haha…appears to be a love triangle in my future. :D I can deal with that. Right now I am all about Dimitri, but I will keep you posted. You know my slutty heart—it loves all the boys! :D
On a sad note—I’m not sure when I am going to be able to get back to this series. :( It might be awhile. I love series, but they are killing me right now! Hahah….I want to read the second Maze Runner book asap!!!!

message 13: by Ariana (last edited Nov 04, 2011 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ariana Oh boy, you've just killed my world a bit with the love triangle.
I'll pretend I haven't heard that LOL

And I know, series are killing me too.
And waiting for them is even worse *cough* Newsflash *cough*

Laura Ari--Oh, No! I’m sorry. To be honest I assumed it was a love triangle. I haven’t met Adrian yet, but that is just the impression I got from everyone. Just guessing I swear—no hard facts yet. :D Forgive me!
Oh—Newsflash! Sigh….I have so much to read, but I just want to go back to that world!

Ariana Don't worry, Laura ;))
Even if it's true it's not like it's gonna change if I don't know about it.. I just prefer my books triangle-free, that's all ;) and if both guys are great, well, there should be double the pleasure of reading it.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko To me there is no triangle it was always Dimitri in my eyes.

Laura I like a good triangle every so often. No way to say that without sounding a little dirty. Giggle, giggle…..BUT….they are everywhere right now!!! Ugh!

JoJo—I like your attitude! Hehe…the man just had all the right ingredients for me. I fell pretty hard! :D

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Yes the right ingredients for sure. I adore Dimitri almost as much as Edward.

Dyyehm I love this series too!!

Laura Hi Dyyehm! Have you read the whole series?

All this love & talk is pushing me right into the next book! Haha….
I have a pile before I can pick up the second book though…but… :D
Series kill me! I’m such a book addict—if the whole series is done & out there—I can’t wait!!! Must read now!!!

Ariana I have so many books I need to read, but then I see a comment or a review about some other book and I want to read that book first.. I am running into circles here LOL

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Ari you crack me up.... one book is shinier than the other right?

Laura I feel the same way about a series. Once I start it I prefer to read it the entire way through. Oh and I hate to be left with a cliffy.

Ariana Yep, they are all shiny and I feel powerless like a kid :)) I will probably do just the same - read all the series, even though I really need to read other books as well. (pff, no one told me reading was supposed to be so complicated)
Which reminds me.. oh boy, how many are out already?

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I know it gets complicated. I have actually skipped reading the last two nights because I have come down with some sort of cold and just needed rest. I actually feel guilty and like I have thrown my schedule completely off.

Ariana Oh, dear, I hope you'll feel better soon.

I have a bit of a cold as well,and I just can't seem to get rid of it with all the tea, lemon and medicine I had as help.
Still I hope I'll get to read a bit tonight - reading is my bets medicine in the world :D

Laura one book is shinier than the other right?

LOL! It is so true—sometimes the new you just heard about is shinier! :D
But…I am re-reading a favorite of mine right now & just loving it. So who knows! The piles of books can get complicated. Hahaha…
I think there are 6 books???? We have some reading to do girl!! ;)

Laura p.s. I hope you both feel better soon! :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Thanks guys love ya all. I swear GR peeps are the best. I too hope you feel better Ari.

I recently heard about a book that just came out called Touch. I had my all of my books lined out and knew exactly what I was reading. Then I had to buy the book and poof it is all a mess and complicated just like you said Laura.

Yes, there are 6 books in the VA series. When do you all plan on reading them?

Laura what book are you reading right now? If it is that good to read again and again perhaps I need to read it once. LOL

Laura Well I am famous for making a plan & then blowing it to bits! Hehe…
But right now I am reading All Quiet on the Western Front—a powerful book I read ages ago that just has stayed with me. Beautiful and heartbreaking.
Then…goodness…I am diving back in to The Maze Runner series with book 2. The pile closest to my bed right now anyway…has Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, Finnick of the Rock, Amplified, book 2 in the Perfect Chemistry series, and then back to VA.
Hahaha..but believe me—my “plans” can change like THAT!!!

Have you read the whole VA series? What about you—what does your pile look like right now?
Oh—I started Forever Mine last night too. The freebie on kindle. It’s cute so far.
I'm off to look up Touch! :)

Ariana I love your pile of books ;))
I need to read "hold me closer ..." as well (i wanted to do it for a while but, you know, shiny books..)
The other ones are great, you will probably like them all, can't wait to see what you think of them :D

Laura Me too! Poor Necromancer keeps getting bumped in my pile too. :( Soon, very soon!
What about you?—spill! What does your reading plan look like right now? :D

Ariana In the last 3 days I've changed my plan so many times I can't even count that far LOL
Flat-Out Love, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Double ClutchThe Scorpio Races, Hounded,The Beginning of After.. It's exhausting only thinking about so many books :))) and there are some more ARCs

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I bump hold me closer necromancer all of the time. Poor book doesn't get the attention it deserves.

You all have some good books on your line up.

Ari I can't wait to read Flat Out Love

Laura I can't wait for you to read the 2nd book of Perfect Chemistry called The Rules of Attraction. I prefer Carlos to Alex any day of the week. I adore the book.

I will be reading Afterlife, Storm Born, Half Blood, Chain Reaction, Succubus Blue. I am sure I will slip some other books in between. I am in need of a contemporary romance.

Laura Oh—you both have books on your list I want to read!!!
Flat Out Love has been on my radar for awhile now. I heard wonderful things about it!

JoJo—Carlos over Alex!!!! Hmmmm…I feel my pile shifting already! :D Jumped up a few spots!
Do you have an author for Touch? I need to narrow the search a bit I think.

Oh…please keep me posted on Afterlife. Very curious!

Happy Reading & Happy Weekend! :D

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Laura I will send you the book rec for Touch. I think that will help because I am having a hard time finding it as well. I know the author first name is Jus. Did I tell you I ordered it?

I too hope you have a happy weekend and lots of fun reading.

Maegan omg so many comments!!!! I wanted to read them all but there is no way that I could. I skipped the last few. haha. And I am so glad you liked/ loved it!!

Marla Thanks for the discussion about what's on your to-read pile. I added a bunch of them to my own.

Special thanks to Ari for putting in links to each book. I couldn't determine which Touch and Necromancer books were being referred to.

I really enjoyed VA and I am impressed at your self control to read the sequel later. I ordered it and will read it as soon as I finish whatever book I have in progress when it shows up.

Laura Hi Marla! It is so funny you mentioned my self-control. I cracked! I just ordered book 2 and 3 from the library today! Haha…Please keep me posted on how you like the rest of the series! p.s. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Happy Reading! :) I can't wait to get back to Dimitri--I mean the series! ;)

Marla Thanks for the link...I just realized that I have to read my book club book before I can read the next Vampire Academy and I am really sad.

Anthi Cubrilovic The series just keeps getting better and better

Laura Anthi wrote: "The series just keeps getting better and better"

Hi Anthi! Ooooh I love to hear that! :) I have to get back to this series ASAP!

Michael Did you see the movie yet? The movie really needs fans to pull through because as of now its a flop. So please support the movie :)